Monday, October 19, 2009

B6 Here to Save the Day

Not ONLY did I take my TB treatment this morning (and on Saturday and Sunday), but I also washed it down with a daily multivitamin. One of the few questions the NP asked me when I saw her a couple weeks ago was whether or not I was taking any vitamin supplements. I told her no, and that I wasn't too concerned with not getting what I need. She kind of urged it, and I just said, fine, whatever, I will pick something up the next time I'm at the grocery store or something.

It has been shown that people taking INH, for their TB exposure, have a tendency to be deficient in vitamin B6, which plays a role in metabolic processes. Deficiencies in B6 could lead to a nerve condition called neuropathy, meaning damage to nerves, which in turn, will lead to a lack of sensations, tingling, or pain.

There are a handful of other conditions that could lead to neuropathy...
alcoholism
cancer/cancer treatment
herniated discs
Diabetes
nerve damaging surgeries
vitamin deficiencies
liver or kidney failure

There are multiple ways to development neuropathy, including...
deprivation of oxygen to nerves
too much insulin or sugar in the body
physical injuries to nerves
some infections
prolonged compression due to inappropriate footwear

I guess at the end of the day, taking INH has a preventative treatment puts me on the win side of health. Taking a multivitamin along with it, puts me at a double win side of health.

Take care of yourselves always loyal readers.

No comments: